Warning header
isshed
2011-03-10 11:16:39 UTC
Hi All,

If an initial INVITE from an endpoint offer contains the sdp as follows.

m=audio 15190 RTP/AVP 100 101\r\n
a=fmtp:18 annexb=yes\r\n
a=fmtp:101 0-15\r\n
a=rtpmap:100 UNACCEPTABLECODEC/8000\r\n
a=sendrecv

the terminating endpoint returns an error response 488 with a warning header
as follows.

Warning: 306 132.177.120.67:5060 "Attribute not understood"

Is 306 is correct response?

Thanks,
Christer Holmberg
2011-03-10 11:23:27 UTC

Per section 20.43 of RFC 3261, 306 seems like a good value.

"306 Attribute not understood: One or more of the media attributes
in the session description are not supported."

Note that it is not a SIP response code, but a code supposed to give additional information about the response.

Regards,

Christer

________________________________

If an initial INVITE from an endpoint offer contains the sdp as follows.

m=audio 15190 RTP/AVP 100 101\r\n
a=fmtp:18 annexb=yes\r\n
a=fmtp:101 0-15\r\n
a=rtpmap:100 UNACCEPTABLECODEC/8000\r\n
a=sendrecv

the terminating endpoint returns an error response 488 with a warning header as follows.

Warning: 306 132.177.120.67:5060 "Attribute not understood"

Is 306 is correct response?

Thanks,

This list is essentially closed and only used for finishing old business.
Use sip-***@cs.columbia.edu for questions on how to develop a SIP implementation.
Use ***@ietf.org for new developments on the application of sip.
Use ***@ietf.org for issues related to maintenance of the core SIP specifications.
isshed
2011-03-10 12:24:35 UTC
Thanks for reply..

what about the addiftional info response 305 or 307?

My question is which one is best suited here?
Thanks,
Harendra
Hi,
Thanks,
Saúl Ibarra Corretgé
http://saghul.net | http://sipdoc.net
Worley, Dale R (Dale)
2011-03-10 15:43:45 UTC
If an initial INVITE from an endpoint offer contains the sdp as follows.

m=audio 15190 RTP/AVP 100 101\r\n
a=fmtp:18 annexb=yes\r\n
a=fmtp:101 0-15\r\n
a=rtpmap:100 UNACCEPTABLECODEC/8000\r\n
a=sendrecv

the terminating endpoint returns an error response 488 with a warning header as follows.

Warning: 306 132.177.120.67:5060 "Attribute not understood"

Is 306 is correct response?

The response is 488, which is correct if the recipient cannot find suitable codecs in the SDP offer.
This makes sense, as the SDP contains no audio coded.

The warning code 306 indicates that the recipient cannot understand one of the a= lines. Unfortunately,
the message does not indicate which a= line it does not understand. My understanding is that
if the interpreter of SDP does not understand an a= line, it should ignore it, which is aligned with
the fact that the response contains a warning (as opposed to an error) about not understanding an a= line.

I also see that the m= line mentions codec 101, but there is no a=rtpmap:101 line, which is I think technically
an error, but in practice means that the recipient must ignore codec 101.

Dale
isshed
2011-03-11 05:13:21 UTC
Thank for your response.

As you correctly said the warning code 306 indicates that the recipient
cannot understand one of the a= lines. But in this case recipient is
understanding the a=rtpmap:100 UNACCEPTABLECODEC/8000 line. Only thing it is
not understanding is the media format(i.e. encoding type). I think 306 is
best suited for the case of a new attribute i.e a=useless.
If you ask me i would still say that warning code 305 is best suited.

Thanks,