Content-Disposition
isshed
2011-03-09 17:46:48 UTC
does anyone know what the behaviour if parsing of Content-Disposition header
fails.

Thanks,
HArendra
isshed
2011-03-09 17:55:09 UTC
If this header in initial invite and parsing fails. does the call get
connected?

Attila Sipos
2011-03-09 18:12:15 UTC
Strictly, for an error like that, there should be a "404 Bad Request"
response
but you might decide it is better to treat it as if it is missing:

If the Content-Disposition header field is missing, bodies of
Content-Type application/sdp imply the disposition "session", while
other content types imply "render".

In this case, I think I would opt for a 404 response and then
inform the UA vendors that their UA is misbehaving.

regards
Attila

If this header in initial invite and parsing fails. does the call get
connected?

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 11:16 PM, isshed <***@gmail.com> wrote:

> does anyone know what the behaviour if parsing of Content-Disposition
> header fails.
>
> Thanks,
> HArendra

This list is essentially closed and only used for finishing old business.
Use sip-***@cs.columbia.edu for questions on how to develop a SIP implementation.
Use ***@ietf.org for new developments on the application of sip.
Use ***@ietf.org for issues related to maintenance of the core SIP specifications.
Worley, Dale R (Dale)
2011-03-09 18:28:14 UTC
From: sip-***@ietf.org [sip-***@ietf.org] On Behalf Of Attila Sipos [***@vegastream.com]

Strictly, for an error like that, there should be a "404 Bad Request"
response
but you might decide it is better to treat it as if it is missing:

If the Content-Disposition header field is missing, bodies of
Content-Type application/sdp imply the disposition "session", while
other content types imply "render".

In this case, I think I would opt for a 404 response and then
inform the UA vendors that their UA is misbehaving.

I agree with Attila, although beware he typed "404" where he should have typed "400". (404 is "Not Found".)

Be careful that your parser will accept all possible future extensions of Content-Disposition as specified in RFC 3261 section 25.1 -- you wouldn't want your device rejecting calls that implemented some future extension.

Dale